Saturday, May 22, 2010

DIY - Car Mount for HTC Incredible


I bought the HTC incredible when it first hit the market on April 29 and until now, I still haven't found a good car mount for the phone. After searching the internet, I found that basically there are 6 types of car mount for smart phones. They all have some pros and cons...

  • Windshield mount - most popular, may not be stable if a long extension is needed. Also if you have to put up the car shade every day, this will not work very well.
  • Cigarette lighter mount - depending on the layout of your car, this could put your phone at a good or bad location; In addition, the arm tends to turn/move when pressure is placed on the phone.
  • Cup holder mount - this would be stable, but my car doesn't have a cup holder up high
  • Air-vent mount - as you could guess, this is not very stable. A fried of mind had his car cleaned and the dude dusting the car broke his clip and it falls into the vent system... not fun.
  • Friction-weighted mount - I haven't use this, but was told it could work very well.
  • Pro-clip type - this is a semi custom type of mounting made by Pro-Clip; tend to be the most stable with no extensions or arms. I like this one the most.

Obviously everyone has different taste for their setup. Without a mounting made specifically for the HTC Incredible, either I have to go with a bulky "one size fit all" cradle in one of the styles listed above, or build something by myself. You guessed it - I picked the second option and here it is... This will stay until I found a good car mount. For now, this is it.

Let me know what you think, or if there's anything can be done to improve the design.




Why this color? this is the left over from other mini projects I had before. Materials? I was using a 12 ga. electrical cable and a piece of sheet metal laying around in the garage. Questions? feel free to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment